Deep Thoughts...

Ramblings of the easily distracted... Hey - what's that?

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Karting... and other random musings...


June 20th 2006.

Well - Karting didn't go so great on Saturday, although it started out OK. There was a big Toyota/Lexus/Scion car meet, where the best from each of the 9 online enthusiast forums competed in the finals. Fortunately, being the only one from Supraforums, this meant I automatically qualified for the finals, despite my lousy times. 8 laps is not enough time to get into a rhythm to start dropping times, my best was a 1:21.4 or so. In the finals, I managed to drop a second into the 1:20.5's, but the best guys were another second faster (1:19.5 or so).

Oh well - Maybe next time. Some pictures from the event here. OK, no fast and furious jokes please - I had this car well before that movie.

I was talking to a friend about Business Schools recently. A little disappointing I didn't get in this year - but serves me right for procrastinating until 4th round admissions. Sigh. Just means I get to do all the essays all over again... Bleh. The friend sent me this article, recently published in the NY Times about whether earning that Harvard MBA was worth it? I do think it is in the long run - it confers some modicum of accomplishment in and of itself, although it doesn't necessarily guarantee the CEO job, it certainly gets you in the front door.

Am currently debating taking the LSAT and applying for combined MBA/JD programs. I'm not sure I can survive 3 more years in school and be 38 and looking for a job... So much for retiring at 40!

5 Comments:

Blogger totochi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:05 PM  
Blogger totochi said...

I thought about taking the LSAT and go into IP law until I talked to several IP lawyers in MBA school. They said that it's the most boring job in the world, unless you like reading patents.

Is that white Supra yours? Cool.

-Tony

11:06 PM  
Blogger ocgal22 said...

All my friends who were in joint JD/MBA programs pretty much chucked the JD part after their 1st year in the MBA program. They couldn't bear the thought of going back and doing nothing but studying.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Darryl said...

Hmm. It probably is pretty boring until you get a big case like the Research in Motion suit... Although I do believe IP law pays really well.

I believe the part about chucking the JD part... esp if your classmates graduate after 2 years, and you have another 2 years of school to look forward to.

PS: Tony - its actually silver, not white. :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger totochi said...

Oops, I was looking at the white Supra pics in the link, the one with the turbo/intercooler... didn't even notice that it was a different car.

I also didn't see "Karting" as well. I thought you guys were racing your own cars. :)

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home