Deep Thoughts...

Ramblings of the easily distracted... Hey - what's that?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Passing of a Patriarch

July 11th 2006.

My dad called to tell me my grandfather had passed away. Over the phone I could tell my dad was having a tough time holding it together. Surprisingly, I took the news fairly stoically - I think it was because this was expected to some degree, as he had been suffering from terminal liver cancer for some time now. I'm glad the end was quick, I hope it was painless. I was glad I had the opportunity to fly home in May to visit him before he passed on. He had lost a lot of weight, but he still seemed pretty cheerful.

My grandfather was #2 of 18 kids. In the picture on the left (which we believe was taken in 1948) my grandfather is second from the right in the back row, next to my grandmother. He grew up in Ipoh, Malaysia, and started Overseas Motors when he was 19 - a company my father & most of his siblings were intimately involved in running for many years. I remember the shop was little more than a 2 storey shophouse on Victoria Street many years ago. Even before my dad worked there, I remember my sister and I going to visit my grandfather at the office, and going for lunch (prawn noodles). My grandfather was a source of inspiration and motivation, who was always cared about others before himself. He was the consummate provider, and yet never forgot his roots, often donating to schools in Singapore and various parts of the region. I am so proud of my grandfather, and what he accomplished.

I have a picture of my grandfather & I from my sister's wedding in 2003. He looks healthy and happy - exactly how I'd like to remember him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home